Monday, April 30, 2012

My Anniversary and Disneyland


It occurred to me when I woke up this morning that today is April 30th, my wedding anniversary. Yes, with everything going on around the old homestead, I almost forgot. Mrs. DisneylandTraveler and I were married 14 years ago. In Disney terms, we've made it to the park at least once, sometimes twice a year almost every year we have been married. I think there was even one year where we made it three times. So we've been to Disneyland probably between 15 - 18 times over the years we've been together and since most of our trips are around 5 or 6 days, well, that's a lot of walking around our favorite place to go together.

But the fun we have had. We're not in for the thrills so much anymore. A "grand-circle" tour on the train suits us just fine, even though Mrs. DLT thinks the Grand Canyon/Primeval World Diorama is rather "old". We love a ride on the Mark Twain especially on a warm day where the gentle breeze against your face is much appreciated. We love Pirates of the Caribbean, it's my favorite ride while Mrs. DLT says the beast next door that is Indiana Jones Adventure is hers. Before we go on Indy or pull a fast pass from the machine I'll tell her that it's hard on my back, she'll tell me to suck it up because we're going.

Over the years we've gotten a bit competitive so we always make Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters one of our first stops. I have yet to beat her. The competition has carried over to Toy Story Mania in California Adventure but the results are the same. But I'll keep trying to beat her God willing. 

We always go to the Enchanted Tiki Room. I maintain it's one of the special places that connects me to the Disneyland of my youth where I sat with my parents watching singing birds but maybe it is just a nice place for us to eat pineapple ice cream. She gets the whip. I get the float.

I can't tell you how many times we have made journeys to the "backside-of-water", taken rides with ghosts, floated along looking at dolls listening "that song", or watched Billy Hill stick in those teeth. A trip around on the monorail is considered mandatory. Every few trips or so we cruise through the rides of Fantasyland remembering what it was like to be a kid again.

It took awhile but I finally got Mrs. DLT on the Tower of Terror but I think she has officially "retired" from taking another plunge. Without her, I may have too. It's just not one of those things that people tend to go on by themselves. What's the fun of fear when there is no one to share it with?

We've come to learn that Christmastime is our favorite time of the year at Disneyland though anytime of the year suits us just fine. The bar on Disneyland's magic just gets raised to a higher level during the Christmas holidays.

The Carnation Cafe has become our favorite place for a sit-down table service meal. We enjoy talking to Chef Oscar while devouring the scrumptious loaded baked potato soup before our entree. We go still go to Blue Bayou every so often, enough times to make our meals in there special, but not enough time that allows us to take the intimate setting for granted.

We enjoy getting a cup of coffee from the Market House in the morning, then make our plan of attack. Sometimes the plan works to perfection, often times it does not. Of course we have had our share of arguments and disagreements at "The Happiest Place on Earth". This is usually a result of getting too tired or too hot. It also happens when you are not willing to compromise on hidden agendas.

I've come to accept that Mrs. DLT is a shopper. Me? Not so much. I am well acquainted with every bench outside nearest the major shopping establishments. I don't mind at all.

We've pampered ourselves with stays at the Grand Californian and Disneyland Hotel but in the end our favorite place to stay may just be The Candy Cane Inn.

Yes, there are so many memories, wonderful memories, enough that I can continue to write this blog for years. But at the same time, we are both in our 50's now and it makes you wonder how many trips to we have left in us. How many trips do we have that we can still pretty much enjoy all the park has to offer? We have been fortunate and blessed many times over in our trips and one can only hope that it will continue well into the future.



Happy Anniversary Sweetheart

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews