Thursday, July 28, 2011

Last Man to the Pirates Party


Mrs. DisneylandTraveler and I saw an extended sneak peak of Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides last March at a special preview that was shown weekends in Disneyland before the film was released Memorial Day weekend. It was about a 15 minute segment of the movie that was previewed and with all the other Pirate festivities that went on, the whole thing lasted about 25 minutes or so. Disney castmembers would heard waiting guests every 30 minutes into the cavernous Festival Arena area adjacent to Big Thunder Mountain. I remember the night well because I had to hold Mrs. DLT back from slapping a castmember silly because he told her everyone needed to sit down on the concrete to watch the proceedings. Turns out, there were some benches toward the rear that worked out fine. If there were no benches, I'm sure Mrs. DLT would have been down at Guest Relations giving someone the business because in the 45 minutes we waited for our turn, nobody ever said anything about having to sit on the ground.

Anyway, I guess we had intended to POTC: On Stranger Tides when it first came out and it was available in IMAX and 3D versions but for one excuse or another, we just never got around to it. Until today. It was my birthday and I took the day off so me and Mrs. DLT decided get a nice lunch and go see the movie before it completely leaves the theaters. It gets released on DVD and Blu-Ray in October. I thought we would be the only ones in the theater because by now, two months after its release, everybody had probably seen the movie. I was wrong. It wasn't playing in one of the huge theaters in the meglaplex but in our showing, the theater was relatively full. I guess the movie still has some legs.

What about the movie you ask? I think Mrs DLT and I both enjoyed it and I certainly thought it was better than the last installment which I didn't like at all. It was entertaining and if you had to nit-pick, I guess you could say the movie dragged in some places and was probably about 30 minutes too long. Just because you have the budget to make a long movie doesn't mean going that route is the wisest thing to do. Keep the movie focused and moving and people would be much happier.

Anyway, as mentioned in a previous post, Disney and Johnny Depp are negotiating for a fifth POTC movie mostly because they keep the fans happy and everyone makes money. Not a bad deal.

Pirates of the Caribbean - the ride - in Disneyland closes from Labor Day until Thanksgiving Day for refurbishment. Time to give this Pirate stuff a rest for awhile.

A fake Captain Jack - Disneyland - March 2011

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews