Friday, July 15, 2011

Winnie the Pooh and You


I have to admit that after I heard last year that Disney's next fully animated film, after the great Princess and the Frog in 2009, was going to be a new Winnie the Pooh, I kind of thought - "Huh? What? Why? With such a rich library of characters, why go back to Pooh?". From the early reviews of the new Winnie the Pooh movie released today, we kind of know why. Disney had an idea and knew what to do with it.

So maybe the target audience of the movie is directed at the ages 3 through 6 crowd but if parents want to see their children with warm smiles and bright eyes, then this movie is for all of them. Beautifully drawn and musically scored, the movie sticks to its story without any unnecessary padding and comes in at a very short 65 minutes which may be the perfect running time for small children.

Yeah, the comedian in me would have loved to post to this blog a title that says "Pooh Stinks" but its just not true. Even without small kids, I'm tempted to go out and see the movie myself. Me and Mrs. DisneylandTraveler have ridden the Winnie the Pooh dark ride at Disneyland just by ourselves plenty of times. I rather enjoy it as the ride unfortunately gets a bad wrap mostly because it sits by itself (other than Splash Mountain). Put that ride in Fantasyland and it would be a hit.

In a complicated, cynacal world maybe Winnie the Pooh and friends are characters we all need to reflect on a bit more. We would be better people for it.

I'm at work right now. First thing I'm going to do when I get home is search my iTunes library and track down Kenny Loggins great House at Pooh Corner and begin to remember what it was like to be 6 years old again.

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews